Wednesday, May 9, 2012

BQOTD: Will you have a garden?

Today's Burning Question of the Day: Do you have a garden? Have you planted already? What do you/will you have growing?

Here in Oregon, most people don't plant until after Mother's Day weekend--it's not unusual to have a late May frost, so even that's pushing things a bit. One year, it snowed on the 4th of July! Anyway, we usually buy starts for most of our plants from one of the local high schools and their agriculture plant sale, which starts tomorrow. We get a serious jump-start on our plants for WAY less than we'd spend at a garden store, and it's kind of a cool way to support the local schools.

So, this year in the vegetable/fruit beds we plan to have: snap peas, carrots, radishes, green beans, spinach, lettuce, zucchini, yellow zucchini, cucumber, lemon cucumber, mint, dill, oregano, basil, jalapenos, bell peppers, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, strawberries, thornless blackberries, raspberries, and then marigolds, nasturtiums, and possibly sunflowers planted throughout as companion plants.

I'm excited, but also a little nervous! It's a bit of an ambitious garden, and since we've had our big garden beds, I've never been pregnant in the summer before!

11 comments:

  1. We don't have a garden started yet, but I've been daydreaming about when I'll have the time to start some potted veggies. Nothing major, couple tomatoes, some beans, and maybe a pepper plant or two. We live in a city lot so can't have a major space devoted to a garden, hence the pots! Good luck in your summer harvesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't garden. We have such a small, small yard, there just isn't room! I love gardening posts though, can't wait to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WANT a garden...I just don't want to keep up with it, lol. I'm very jealous of all those people with pretty gardens because I am DEFINITELY not that person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have a vegetable garden. I just don't know if it's allowed. We have an HOA that appears to be a bit strict. Pros and cons to that. I would go for a box garden though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have a huge garden if I could! We always had a garden growing up and my parents still do a pretty good sized one - I steal tomatoes and cucumbers whenever I can! I had a little garden when I was married, but it's very difficult with Central Oregon weather since the growing season is so short. I may try pots this year, but we'll see. I go home often enough I might just let my parents do the hard work instead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh cool!! I have a bit of a container garden going on on our deck, we have peppers, tomatoes, basil, parsley, and dill (plus two small clue spruce trees..but we cant eat those...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our garden's in progress! I actually took your recommendation on butternut squash and moved it around so that we would have more room next to the lettuce when it's gone this summer. I'm loving watching things come up - dinner every night includes a salad from the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope. Mostly because we rent... but even when we did own, we didn't have one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, we have everything planted and so far, it's thriving. I'm just hoping it stays that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! I LOVE to garden and I have a good one going now.This weather here has been SOOOOOOOOO crazy as we had 90 degree weather when we were supposed to have snow so everything was blooming like gangbusters then it snowed and got cold.It did a bit of damage but things are getting back to normal again:)I grow perrenials and trees and various shrubs.Please come check out my bloomers! Yours are gorgeous and your photos Slammin! Wish I had a fancy camera but I just have a little cheapie:)Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do have a garden (also in Oregon). So far we've just planted peas, but probalby will add tomatoes and green beans soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.