Monday, May 9, 2011

Losing Inches vs. Losing Pounds

As most of you guys know by now, I was not one of the lucky ones whose pregnancy weight melted off due to breastfeeding. In fact, I didn't lose a single pound as long as I was breastfeeding. Even after Lizzy decided she was done, I still had to work really hard to see progress.

In October 2010, I began tracking my weight at The Daily Plate. Sometimes I use it to keep track of calories and exercise as well. Anyway, when I signed up, I decided to also track my measurements, and even tied that goal into my 101 in 1001 list, and I'm so glad that I did. Seriously, if I could give one piece of advice to anyone who is embarking on a diet and/or exercise journey(particularly if you've had a rough time losing weight in the past), it's to track your measurements along with your weight. I'm a perfect example of why:

From October 2010 to May 2011, I lost 8.5 pounds---waaaaaayyyyy under the 1 pound per week guideline. This statistic, on its own, would be seriously depressing in light of all the hours I've put into Insanity.

However, I've also lost 16.5 inches--2.5 from my chest, 7 from my waist, and 7 from my hips. And seriously, that's something to celebrate. Weight alone? Definitely didn't give me the complete picture. Seeing that I've really lost quite a lot of inches also helps me see that I've probably replaced some fat with lean muscle, which could be why I haven't seen a huge drop in my weight.  I'm over a FOOT smaller than I was. I'm definitely getting healthier (losing inches from my waist has drastically reduced my risk for heart disease), even though the scale hasn't moved as much as I probably would have liked.

 Moral of the story? Don't just track your weight--track your measurements and your body fat percentage as well. Trust me.

14 comments:

  1. I always try to track my measurements, but get frustrated & quit. They vary so much week by week because I think I never measure in the same places.. How do you measure so that you get the same location each week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you've been tracking your measurements. 12 inches lost? That is AWESOME!

    Even though I've been able to see the pounds come off on the scale, it is hard to see it in the mirror. I wish I had taken my measurements when I first started my fitness journey. I think I'll go ahead and start now, since I'm only just halfway to my goal weight.

    Thanks for the inspiration, and good work with the insanity workouts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you girl! I wish I tracked everything about losing my weight... but I didn't. :( good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on those measurements Mer! What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go!

    I usually go by how my clothes fit. I can be at the high end of my range and have things having off of me or at the low end squeezing into my jeans. Weight ain't nothin' but a number!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're totally right. The scale moved like molasses for me when I did Insanity. Had it not been for my measurements I would have been seriously depressed. As someone who lived by the scale and never busted out the measuring tape, I can now say I'm convinced.

    Way to go with those inches lost! That's a huge accomplishment, Meredith!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen amen amen. I couldn't agree with you more. I wish all my clients realized this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great tip! You have been working so hard and deserve all the inches lost you have earned. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wished I had tracked my measurements. I did the big push before I got pregnant. I think the weight drop and the fitness changes is actually the reason I was finally able to get pregnant. 12 inches!! Amazing job Meredith!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dang-that hip and waist measurement is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are absolutely correct. I wish I would have kept track of my measurements. People ask how much I've lost and they swear it's more because I've lost so many inches.
    GREAT JOB!!! You are doing fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 16.5 inches!! That is crazy. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job! I try not to weight myself. I judge my success on what pants fit at that moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely amazing! I SO wish I would have done this before I started, as I'm completely discouraged.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.