Monday, May 16, 2011

Book Review: Little Bee

The back of Chris Cleave's Little Bee says the following:

"We don't want to tell you what happens in this book.
It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it. 
Nevertheless, you need to know enough to buy it, so we will just say this: 

This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice, the kind of choice we hope you never have to face. Two years later, they meet again--their story starts there...

Once you have read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens. The magic is in how the story unfolds."

The back of the book is exactly right--I don't feel that there's much I can tell you about this book without ruining the story and the way it all unfolds. I can tell you that it deals with hard subject matter, and wasn't always pleasant to read, but was also important to read because of how uncomfortable and sad it made me. Also, it was somehow still beautifully written through and through. I can tell you that I finished it in two days, and probably drove Justin crazy by carrying it around with me everywhere we went and reading it every spare minute I had.


Goodness sakes, I'm thrilled at how many awesome ratings I've been able to post recently. I've truly loved most of the recent books I've read in the past couple of weeks!

7 comments:

  1. i'm almost done with THE HELP (how i haven't finished it since i can't get enough of it i don't know)... your review has definitely got me interested. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - next book to read is on hold at my library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree. This book rocked. But it's not for everyone...do you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I have to say, the ad blurb on the back all by itself would discourage me from reading that book. It's like they were trying to be pretentious. Annoying that an apparently excellent book was saddled with this by its publishers.

    I continue to enjoy your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading this right now for Book Club, but I've only just started. Sounds like it's a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this one is already on my list, but I may have to move it up in order now...

    by the way, I love the book reviews! I've constantly got a book in my hand and am always searching for new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The description got me totally intrigued! I want to read it NOW! I'll try to get in the next weeks. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.