Friday, September 17, 2010

Ooey Gooey Cucumber Bread Goodness

Yes, you read that right. I said Cucumber Bread. Not Zucchini Bread. Cucumber Bread. Why? Because we planted cucumbers and not zucchini in our garden. And also because someone I know told me that Cucumber Bread wasn't possible. And there's nothing that makes me more determined to do something than telling me that I can't do that thing.


Here's what you need:

-3 eggs
-2 cups all purpose flour
-1 cup whole-wheat flour
-2 cups grated or mashed cucumbers (Some people prefer to peel and de-seed. I didn't do either)
-1 cup applesauce
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder

If you're a good little baker, you'll beat the eggs first, then beat in the sugar. Next add the cucumber, followed by the applesauce and then the vanilla. Then you'll slowly add the rest of the dry ingredients. {I am NOT a good little baker, and I just throw everything in a bowl and whisk it all together.}

Pour into two greased bread loaf pans/ two muffin tins/ one of each. I know there won't be a lot of batter in each pan. If you don't make bread all that often, it won't seem like enough. Still, do NOT combine into one pan, no matter how tempting it will be. TRUST.

Next, bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks.

In order to get the full ooey gooey effect, eat a warm piece of bread with a pat of butter. As you probably noticed, there's no oil in this bread, so don't feel too badly about the butter. I didn't. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Where was this recipe a few weeks ago when I had an overabundance of cucumbers at my house!?! Definitely going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IlooooovesuzzchinibreadImusttrycucumberbread!!!!!!!!

    What about squash bread?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.