Tuesday, April 6, 2010

12 Weeks to Better Photography- Week Six


This week's Photography lesson was all about shooting indoors. This can be tricky (between flash issues, white balance, etc), but it's something important to master. I don't know about you, but it's been snowing again lately, so 100% of my photos lately are indoors.

One of the tips that the lesson gave for this week was to try having your subject facing a window, with you standing in between the window and the subject. This will allow you to capture good catchlights in the eyes (PS--I think portraits are all about catchlights in the eyes).

Here's an example of a shot where Lizzy and I were both parallel to a window, with her turned slightly away from the window:
It's not a bad shot, but her eyes aren't as bright as they could be. And there are no catchlights. 

These next two shots were taken with Lizzy facing a window, and me in between her and the window: 



Ta-Da! Catchlights in the eyes!

I will note that I often take pictures with us parallel to a window (in all the pictures of her on a towel on the counter we are parallel to a window). I just try to make sure that she's angled towards the window!

What about you guys? What's your best tip for shooting indoors? 


2 comments:

  1. Great photos of your sweet girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures of her facing the window are great!!

    And you guys are still getting SNOW? We've had "warmer than normal" 80s. I feel bad for you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.