Thursday, March 18, 2010

Overheard

One of my favorite things about the Mom's Group that I'm apart of is that there is a huge range of moms. Some have newborns, some have several kids ranging from toddlers to pre-teens. And then there is also a group of "mentor moms", whose kids are grown and out of the house. Every so often, one of the "mentor moms" will present to the group about a topic of their choice. They'll offer advice, encouragement, and anecdotes on everything from faith to parenting to super quick meals. Today's speaker was great, and she said something that I had to share:


I don't know about you, but I forget that sometimes. A LOT of times. I'm often quick to speak, when I should think BEFORE I speak. I often feel like I just shoved my foot so far down my throat that I may never be able to pull it back out. And I need to make a better effort at thinking before I speak, because the things that I say {and the tone with which I say them} DO matter. Period.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! That's pretty powerful. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O how I wish every parent would read this and think about it.... All too often I hear parents say things that are definitely tearing their children down and they think nothing of it. It's so sad and it makes me so angry! Thanks for sharing, this is a great lesson that everyone should learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So powerful; so true! I'm saving that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree - and not just for parents, but for spouses, friends and even children. I also think the tone of your words matters sometimes as much or more than the words themselves. Its so easy to sense when someone is/isn't being genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How true. What a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very true but sometimes I feel like I speak and speak and speak and hubs just does.not.hear.me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very telling, especially when others pick up on what is the norm for your communication to your family, I have seen that they speak in the same way.

    Good share Mer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brandon and I have had this discussion lately about really minding what we say and how we say it in front of Brayden. Powerful stuff, Meredith!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once upon a time, my mother said something to me--fairly innocuous, admittedly, but kind of harsh--that has fucked with my self esteem ever since. No pressure. But it's incredibly wise to keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this :-)
    I have a huge heart...but often, I speak before I think.
    Working on it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.