Monday, March 29, 2010

Go-to Recipe--Green Smoothie

Kaitlin's mom, Bev, taught me how to make an *awesome* smoothie that is so stinking healthy! I really like it in the winter, when I'm not eating fresh fruit as often as I'd like. And guess what? This smoothie also contains spinach. I know, I thought 'ewwww' at first too, but I promise--you don't even taste it.

Here's how I make the smoothie: a handful or two of baby spinach, 4 or 5 whole fresh strawberries (stem and all) or a handful of frozen strawberries, and another fruit. I often use a banana, this time I used frozen blackberries. Add a cup or so of ice and water (I use less ice if I'm using frozen veggies), and blend away!

This is a fantastic recipe to trick kids into eating their veggies because you don't see the green at all: 
This smoothie isn't particularly sweet, so sometimes I will add in a splash of orange juice or a couple spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt, but I do know that Bev's doctor said that it's BEST to just do the fruit, spinach, and water. Something about that combination is really good for your body, and not a bad way to enjoy a taste of summer!

5 comments:

  1. Yum! We are smoothie junkies but I was always scared of adding the spinach. Good to know you can't taste it!! I'll have to give that a try soon.

    My hubby accidentally figured out how to sweeten smoothies without sugar. One day he put in an Emergen-C packet and oh my gosh....INSTANT sweetness and tart! Now it's a must when we make smoothies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I seriously am not sure how she is getting EVERYONE hooked on these but me. I just can't do it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! Reminds me of that infomercial on tv...trick the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have similar smoothies every morning, and have for almost a year now! Ours are a little more involved though:
    Bananas (always)
    another fruit - blueberries or strawberries usually
    Plain yogurt
    Splash of apple juice
    tablespoon of ground flaxseed
    a TON of spinach

    They are really tasty, and make me feel like I can eat like crap the rest of the day because at least I started out right :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to do those all the time. I always used frozen berries - I use strawberries, peaches, black and blue berries and raspberries. I just threw in wahtever variation I felt like. I add light soy milk instead of water though and a little bit of flax seed as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.