Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Burning Question of The Day: Girl Scout Cookies

It's that time again....Girl Scout Cookies! This year, J and I were good and only bought one box each--the peanut butter Do-Si-Does for him, and Thin Mints for me. My favorites are actually Tagalongs, but this year I opted for Thin Mints for some reason.


So which kind is your favorite? 

If you need a refresher of what's what, here's Wikipedia's descriptions (though I've never heard of some of these!):
  • Thin Mints: Thin, mint-flavored chocolate wafers dipped in a chocolate coating.
  • Peanut Butter Sandwiches/Do-si-dos: Peanut butter filling sandwiched between crunchy oatmeal cookies.
  • Peanut Butter Patties/Tagalongs: Crispy vanilla cookies layered with peanut butter and covered with a chocolate coating.
  • Shortbreads/Trefoils: A traditional shortbread cookie made in the shape of the Girl Scout trefoil logo.
  • Caramel DeLites/Samoas: Vanilla cookies coated in caramel, sprinkled with toasted coconut and laced with chocolate stripes.
  • All Abouts/Animal Treasures/Thanks-A-Lot: : Shortbread cookies dipped in fudge and topped with an embossed thank-you message in one of five languages, including English, Spanish, French, Chinese, and Swahili.
  • Lemon Chalet Cremes: Cinnamon sandwich cookies with lemon creme filling.
  • Cinna-spins Introduced in 2008 by ABC Bakers, Cinna-spins are cinnamon-flavored cookies that come in 100-calorie packs. Cinna-spins are shaped like miniature cinnamon rolls. Retired and replaced by Daisy Go Rounds.
  • Daisy Go Rounds: Very similar to Cinna-spins, this cookie replaced them for the 2009 sale. They are advertised as low fat and also come in 100 calorie packs. They are cinnamon flavored and shaped like daisies. These cookies are only available from ABC Bakers.
  • Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips Introduced in 2008, they are small sugar- free cookies.
  • Dulce De Leche Introduced in 2009, these are Latin caramel cookies.
  • Lemonades Round shortbread cookie with lemon icing.
  • Thank You Berry Munch Introduced in 2010, has Cranberries and white fudge chunks.

27 comments:

  1. I love Thin Mints. The best kind is when they are frozen. I can remember putting them on top of my ice cream too when I was in girl scouts! As much as I loved GS, I do not miss all of the cookie sales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fav is thin mints and I ordered 3 boxes this year. 2 boxes are stuck in the freezer so that I can enjoy them all year long. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samoas for me and frozen thin mints for DH. I think we each finished our boxes in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thin Mints for me (frozen please!) and Samoas for B. We each got 2 boxes - and he finished off my thin mints, I felt ripped off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fav? Thin mints, of course. Samoas are great too. What can I say? Don't mess with tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a huge fan of the shortbread ones! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somoas are my all time fave! I've already gone through two boxes :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thin Mints, without question. Although Tagalongs and Samoas are pretty good too. But if I could only have one Girl Scout cookie for the rest of my life, I would choose, without hesitation, Thin Mints.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caramel DeLites or Peanut Butter Patties

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so funny because I was at Lowes the other day and scooped some up! I don't know anyone that has girls in girl scouts so I was bumming.

    My favorite are the Samoas, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THIN MINTS!!! I adore them.

    I'd like to try the Dulche De Leche and the new Thank You Very Munch ones too. Is that too many cookies for one woman?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um dude. Tagalongs. For sure. Up behind that- Samoas. I currently have less than two boxes of each in the freezer. Those things are dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thin mints for me! I like to put them in a blender with a little vanilla ice cream and milk.
    Here it seems everywhere you go- Lowe's, Wal-Mart, etc.- there are always girls set up with Girl Scout cookie tables. It's so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like them all! I ordered a TON of Thin Mints this year though because I plan on making Thin Mint Pizza Supreme...can't wait to make it although it'll be horrible for my diet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Call me crazy, but I was not impressed with the Girl Scout cookies. I actually never had any until this year. I tried the Dulce De Leche and thought they were way too crunchy and just didn't taste good to me.

    My husband always gets the Peanut Butter ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thin Mints and Thanks a lot are my faves! yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thin Mints all the way!

    The worst GS cookie was way back when I was a GS in the 80s and they came up with cookies that were actually Cheez-It type crackers called "Golden Yangles" Crazy and nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tagalongs & samoas are my favs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We buy 3 boxes ever year - 2 Thin Mints and 2 Samoas. This way John and I both get a box of each. It's been really hard resisting the girls outside of stores though. We've already gone through all our boxes. :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thin mints all the way, baby!! Frozen, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OoOo Girl Scout cookies!! I love me some Carmel Delights, but Jon and I decided not to buy Girl Scout cookies anymore because Girl Scouts supports Planned Parenthood, so we decided we wouldn't give them our money. :( I need to find a recipe for homemade carmel delights! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thin Mints clearly. All others can be lost if they remain.

    I tried the Dulce de Leche, and it's true. They're to crunch/crumbly. And the chips are a little tough. Plus they really don't count as dulce de leche, the real thing is way better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yumm- I love 'em all! I was a girl scout unti I graduated from . . . high school. Seriously. I was actually a little sick of them by the end of it. It isn't nearly as cute trying to sell cookies as an adult. But now that I have had some space- I am so ready to eat all the Peanut Butter Patties and Thin Mints my body will take! Yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree 100% with Baloo. But also like every other kind I have tried. What can I say? I like cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Samoas are my absolute fav!! OH YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.