Wednesday, March 10, 2010

8 Weeks Postpartum

I feel like I can confidently say that there is a marked difference between 6 weeks postpartum, and 8 weeks postpartum! To be honest, I've only seen a 3 or so pound difference on the scale, but I definitely see and feel a difference in the way that clothes fit, and that is NICE.  I might keep taking pictures of my progress, because I find that what I see in the mirror is often totally different than what I see in pictures--for some reason, I can look at pictures more objectively.

I've been doing the 30 Day Shred at least 3 times a week (but usually more) since week 6. I still haven't moved up to Level 2, but I think that I'll be able to soon. It feels good to get the body moving. And I notice that when I'm exercising, I tend to eat healthier as well, so it's a good and rewarding cycle.

On the other hand of postpartum issues, despite the fact that I'm exclusively breastfeeding (and inexplicably dealing with a seriously bruised nipple right now), my period made a most unwelcome arrival this past week. This is not supposed to happen. But apparently it does for a small percentage of women, which I am apparently (and not surprisingly) a part of. This, friends, is precisely why breastfeeding cannot be relied upon for birth control. I am really not very happy about this situation right now. I know that breastfeeding is the best form of nutrition for little babies, but I can't help but be a little frustrated that I seem to have missed out on the two major perks {heh!} of breastfeeding--weight loss, and the lack of Aunt Flo. Because let me tell ya--I don't find breastfeeding fun in any way, and I don't particularly enjoy it. One or both of those benefits certainly would have made it an easier pill to swallow.

In terms of other postpartum issues, I'm finding that I have to pay WAY more attention to both water intake and fiber intake than I ever had to prior to pregnancy. If either one falls below par, it seriously messes up my body, and takes quite awhile to recover.

Also, burping and farting. Maybe I'm alone in this, 'cause I haven't read about it in any pregnancy books anywhere, but I both burp and fart far more now than I did pre-pregnancy. And it's really pretty uncontrollable. And pretty disgusting. I mean, Justin is a freaking plumber, and he gets grossed out. Just thought that I'd throw that out there, lol!

How's that for your bi-monthly dose of postpartum overshare?

27 comments:

  1. You look great! There's a definite difference around your mid-section. Good work!

    And as for a) your period and b) the gas/farting...that sucks!

    But honestly, I'm not surprised about the latter! I have that same problem - always - around my period. (Sorry! TMI!) I think it's helped along by the uterine contractions in that area. Those are still happening for you, even 8 weeks postpartum, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang girl!! That is a huge difference on just two short weeks!! You look fabulous.

    I don't enjoy breastfeeding either and plan on talking about that in my 6 week pp post tomorrow. The nipple sensitivity, the leaking, the annoying nursing bras - it sucks. And I'm sorry to hear about the period - I'm worried I'll have the same experience!

    Also, I can totally relate to the farting. Highly annoying and disgusting. I've found that I don't even have the ability to hold them in like I did pre-pregnancy. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude.. I can't believe there is that much difference in just a couple of weeks- you are awesome!

    And I am LOLing at the farting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're looking good girl, keep up the good work!!

    As for the burping/farting. I usually have more gas around my period, and take Rolaids chews gas relief. it helps a tremendous amount!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a major difference in just two week!

    So far, I'm not enjoying the BFing so much either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a difference two weeks makes!

    And in regards to your period -- soo not fun. I actually didn't realize that breastfeeding would stop you from getting your period until a few weeks ago, and now I'm really hoping I can a.) breastfeed and b.) not be like Michelle Duggar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good! Keep up the great work!!

    I'm terrified of the postpartum farting!! Pregnancy farting has made me feel 100 times less lady like! Yikes! I guess our bodies just go through some crazy changes when we bring a little one into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you are looking great! I can definitely see a difference! Way to go! :-) Sorry for the return of Aunt Flo and the other stuff that has come along for the ride, that is not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sucks about AF. Mine didn't show up until about 8 months pp- but I would have gladly traded AF for all the hair loss I had, hands down! Have you lost any hair?
    BFing is HARD work- you should be proud that you have made it as far as you have!
    You look great, BTW! I've only been doing the 30 DS 3 times a week too- but I really feel like I'm doing something good for myself in those 3 days. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look great!

    I have not lost much weight from week one to now - which is week 6.

    I have realized that the weight loss is not going to come from breast feeding alone for me - I need to do more. Now I just need to find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about AF. Bleh. That sucks Mer.

    What doesn't suck, your efforts are totally paying off! You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was one of the lucky ones that started my period RIGHT afterwards. I thought I was hemoraging and the dr. told me to go to the ER. How embarassing when the male nurse came in to gruffly tell me I had started my period.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you look great! sorry you are having to deal with un-fun issues!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look fabulous friend! :) Sucky about AF though! :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE your honesty and you look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh i can def. tell a difference in the 2 weeks. Looks good! :)
    Love your blog!
    Xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look great! What a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you're so willing to share your post-pregnancy "things" with us! You look great and there is a noticable difference between weeks 6 and 8! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look GREAT!! I've been considering buying 30 day shred, I think you just sold me! I agree with you on the cycle thing. If I don't work out, even for just a few days I slip right back into unhealthy habits.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! I stumbled onto your blog today! Very cute! You look great by the way! Congrats on your new baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job on the Shred!!! I think that's hilarious about burping and farting. Sorry you aren't getting the perks of breastfeeding!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay, I seriously need people like you to make sure when I have kids, I won't be alone if I go through stuff like this. =) Hoping things are well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a difference. You look great Mer!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the 30 day shred, it works! You look great by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry about Aunt Flo...
    On a related note, I had a really hard time breastfeeding too and I did not enjoy it. I have three children and breastfed them all. Mt first one did not take a bottle and I nursed exclusively for 14 months- and I wasn't happy about it and it was really hard on me actually. But, the good news I wanted to tell you is that I didn't start loosing weight from the breastfeeding until my baby was about 3-4 months old. Then all of the sudden, I noticed my clothes getting loose. Hang in there, it does get better with time and your nipples will start feeling better too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.