Friday, February 19, 2010

Snippets

-On Wednesday, I finally got to go to the Mom's Group. I loved it. There's such an awesome and diverse group of women, ranging from 20's to 50's. Some have had kid, some have adopted kids, some are foster parents. It's just an awesome thing. On Wednesday, they had a speaker from the library come--they're trying to re-start a program for infants and "wobblers" at the library. All our local libraries closed two years ago when the county stopped funding them, and since they've re-opened, all the programs haven't started back up. I hope that this one re-starts. I'd love to line up some things to do with Lizzy that don't cost an arm and a leg.

-I was also shocked to learn that there's actually a pool in our town. I don't know that I've mentioned that I live in a little itty bitty town. Like, there's not even a Starbucks small. Anyway, I didn't know that there was an indoor pool that offers infant swim classes at a pretty reasonable ($28/ month) price. They're in the evenings, which means that J and I could both potentially go. We have to wait until she's a little older--I think 4 or 6 months. I'm excited though. I love the water and would like to get her comfortable around it as early as possible.

-Today we're meeting with someone about possibly refinancing our mortgage. We had previously been working with B of A (who our mortgage was through) on a mortgage modification. I guess we qualified under the Making Home Affordable program. But, for the past six months they've been supposed to be sending us paperwork that hasn't ever arrived. Every time I call, it's "in the mail". Sure. So, we decided that it was time to go see someone in person (you have to do a modification over the phone apparently). I'm hopeful that we'll be able to refinance, but with how much housing has depreciated, I'm suspecting we won't be able to. But it's worth a shot, right?

-Also, I mentioned previously that Lizzy slept through the night. Well, that isn't something that she does with any regularity. For the most part, she still wakes up at least twice to eat. But occasionally, she won't. And I really battle with whether or not to wake her. On one hand, the pediatrician told us that we're supposed to wake her at least every 5 hours to feed at night. On the other hand, I know that babies aren't going to starve themselves, and plenty of women let them sleep through the night with no problem. I'm just a by-the-rules girl, and I have a hard time not following them! I still feel a little guilty for not waking her up sooner last night--she ate at about 8:30pm, and then was OUT until 4am. She didn't even wake up because she lost her pacifier! But yeah, I kind of feel like a bad mom for letting her go almost 8 hours without eating.

11 comments:

  1. Ya know... I don't have children but I'm thinking you're right. Most children will not starve themselves and if she was truly hungry, she would have woken herself up.

    I love when people teach their children to swim so early on in life, it's a great skill to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way should you feel bad for letting her sleep. I think I'd feel differently if it was every night, but it's only on occasion, and I can't imagine how awesome it is to get a solid block of sleep like that. You deserve the sleep and she needs the sleep if she's not waking up. I think you're doing the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swim lessons will be great!!! I hope the library program goes for you too...I'll cross my fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing my friend told me - a bad mom wouldn't worry and feel guilty. So you can't be a bad mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't feel like a bad mom! I live by the rule "never wake a sleeping baby." Lizzy will let you know when she needs something, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please don't feel like a bad mom for letting your daughter get a solid night's sleep, which is so essential for her growth and development.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely not a bad mom! I was reading somewhere (don't know how much truth to this) that Americans are the ones who wake their kid up to eat... in Europe (?) they just go by the "never wake a sleeping baby" rule and think it is preposterous to wake up the baby to eat.

    ...I can't imagine her not waking up if she was THAT hungry....

    ReplyDelete
  8. We didn't have good luck with BofA, either. To refinance an auto, you have to apply online and then someone will call you. It didn't work out well for us at all. We wanted to deal with a person!!

    And I don't have any babies yet, but my feeling is that if she's not hungry enough to wake up, she'll be fine. I mean, my thought on it is that if you wake her up in the middle of the night, then she might start waking up EVERY night to eat in the middle of the night. If you let her sleep through, maybe she'll end up sleeping through all the time, earlier than she would if you scheduled her? Then again, what do I know, I don't have any babies of the human variety!!!

    :-) Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love baby swim lessons! They were my favorite classes to teach and I can't wait to attend them myself. It's a great way to meet other parents, too - or at least that's what I always thought of the moms in my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you have luck with refinancing!

    Don't feel bad at all. Motherhood isn't about being strict with the rules, at least not yet lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *lol* That's too funny... I can confirm what Samantha said. I am originally from Germany and over there they don't wake up a sleeping baby. I live in America now and when I told my german friends that the Dr. told me to wake up my baby every 3 hours they were so surprised.

    Don't feel bad about not waking her up. Like everybody else already said, she needs the sleep and won't starve herself.

    My youngest daughter just turned 1 month 2 days ago and she also has some nights where she goes about 7 hours without drinking. As long as she is growing and drinking plenty during the day, I wouldn't worry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.