Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pregnancy Post: Week 39


Well folks, there it is--officially the LAST weekly pregnancy picture!

After much discussion at the doctor's appointment today, Justin, the doc, and myself decided to schedule an induction for Monday the 11th. So, if Lizzy doesn't make her grand appearance before then, we will be heading to the hospital at about 6am to begin the induction process. Now, I know that a lot of people have very strong feelings against inductions, and a lot of readers may not agree with our decision to induce. However, there are a lot of different reasons that have caused all three of us to believe that an induction is the best option. One of the main reasons is this:

For the past two weeks, the baby has been in a position that is pinching one of my nerves and also constricting my circulation. This means that I'm in a lot of pain, and also that I randomly feel like I'm about to black out--suddenly (little to no warning) I get complete tunnel vision, start shaking uncontrollably, and a fever/chills feeling. Then, I break out into a cold sweat. I can hardly see, and feel disoriented. And this always seems to happen when I'm say, in the shower, or driving. It's been happening more and more frequently (I had multiple episodes today), and there's absolutely nothing that I can do to stop or alleviate them--I just have to lay down and wait them out. And it's scary. Due to the decreased blood flow, I also usually have a migraine the rest of the day. The doctor confirmed today that the baby isn't likely going to change positions at this point, and since this situation is being caused by her positioning, the situation won't likely change until she's born. It's scary for me, and I know that my blood pressure and pulse shoot through the roof whenever it happens, which I'm sure isn't good for Lizard either.

Other concerns include the probability of actually being further along than my due date reflects, blood pressure that has been slowly creeping higher and higher, etc. The doctor has said that since I'm more than 3cm dilated, most of the way effaced, and contracting regularly, that my body is favorable for an induction, and that he's hopeful that after he breaks my water, I may not even need Pitocin. So yeah. Being induced may not be a popular decision, but it really is the one that J and I (and our doctor) are comfortable with here. To be honest, the whole situation is a little scary, crazy, and emotional! I'm still hoping that I go into labor on my own, but it's really surreal to know that if I don't, we will be heading to Labor and Delivery bright and early Monday morning!

In other news, my parents came over this evening bearing gifts--namely, a video camera! What an incredible gift! We didn't have one and my DSLR doesn't do video, so the camera was really, really exciting! Justin's already having a great time testing it all out.

Also, my oldest niece Payton (who is almost 5) informed me earlier this week that she really, really hoped that I have this baby before Sunday, because my shirts don't cover my belly anymore, and we do NOT wear shirts that show our belly to church. I got a pretty good laugh out of that one. 




23 comments:

  1. I respect whatever decision you, your doctor and your sweet hubby make. . . you know what's best for you!

    The 11th sounds like a nice birthday date...I like it. The 8th is still an option as well...imagine that?!?! That's crazy soon!

    (Good luck with all those weird dizzy spells. I'm really proud of how you've been dealing with all these changes to your body. I know it can't be easy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!! I can't imagine what it's like to know that no matter what, the little one isn't going to be in your belly anymore after Monday!! I'd have to be PRAYING to go into labor on my own, otherwise I'd be so excited, I wouldn't be able to sleep for like 3 days straight, leading up to it. My mom had to have 3 C-sections, so she had to schedule each one. I think I'd be so giddy, I'd drive myself crazy!

    And just in case this is the last chance I have to say it, GOOD LUCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting. I chose to have an elective induction with my son and it was a wonderful experience. I would go back and do it all over again the same exact way. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't want to be induced either, but with my high blood pressure, swelling, and the fact that busy season was right around the corner (Which was NOT a factor, it just worked out that way!) it was better for me and Brayden. It is definitely a slow process but since you are already 3, it might not be as slow as mine. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so, so close to meeting your little one! Yay! So excited for you!

    Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting!!! Good luck and I hope that you don't feel any pain until pushing like the post before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the 11th. That's like, soon. Really soon. :) Don't even worry your pretty little head about the induction, as I read on a blog yesterday: There's only one goal in childbirth. You do what it takes and if it takes an induction, then so be it. Additionally, in all of my knowledge hah, I agree with your doctor that you shouldn't be as concerned about the induction as you're all ready well on your way!

    I hope that the episodes dispell and that you guys get the hang of that video camera real quick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow- it is soon! Of course you, your husband and especially your doctor know what is best for you and Elizabeth.. and it definitely sounds like you have some good reasoning.

    I can't believe the blood pressure issue- almost passing out with no warning sounds so scary. And then migraines- ugh. I guess it is at least a bonus that you aren't at work anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the reason most people have a beef with inductions is when people schedule them because its more convient for the parent, but there is no underlying medical reason for it. In your case, since this is what your Dr. says is best, I can't see anyone having a problem with it!

    I've been watching birth shows, and in one a doctor told one of his patients who needed a c-section, "everyone talks about having the ideal birth experience. What is ideal for you is what is necessary and healthy for you and the baby." So, so true.

    Praying you don't have too many of those spells and that everything goes well with Lizzie's arrival. Can't wait to "meet" her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I say listen to your doctor. I am sorry that all this is happening. We had a lot of the same things happening when I was pregnant with payton. Please let me know if you need anything. If you want us to just be at your house today, or tomorrow I am willing to be there. I am sure that it's incredibly scary going through that especially alone while Justin is at work. Love you and we can't wait.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  11. So exciting Meredith!!! Your stats mean your are a prime candidate for an induction and how amazing will it be if you don't even need the Pitocin?! And even if you do, some people react to it well enough (especially when they are as progressed as you) that it can actually be turned off after your body gets in the rhythm of the contractions.

    I can't believe Lizard will be here by Monday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you a quick & easy delivery! Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! You don't know me, but I found your blog on Julie's Back to the Basics blog. First of all, it's so exciting your little girl is coming so soon! Second, I wanted to comment on your post about A Prayer for Owen Meany. John Irving is my favorite author and I read Owen Meany earlier this year and loved it. Irving is quite the storyteller! My favorite is A Widow for One Year. I actually got to see John Irving in person a couple months ago in Minneapolis! I was SO excited. It's always good to hear a different opinion and I appreciated your thoughts on the book. Hope you're enjoying your next book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. girl, nothing is wrong with induction..the baby needs to come out at sometime--b/c honestly, the environment in there starts to get icky for them after 40 weeks and some odd days. I agree with the deicision although, ill be praying she makes an entrance on her own before that. Sorry about the nerves :( You are looking for-real ready to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! She could be here any day or on the 11th. Exciting! I hope everything goes well, however it comes about. Hopefully the nerve pain and everything stays to a minimum until she comes. I bet not working anymore will be a bit of a help and you can take it easy some.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rad. 1/11 is about the coolest birthday possible. Very excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats! Thats so exciting! And dont worry about the induction. I was induced with both my kids because well, it just wouldn't happen on its own! I would have liked it to happen all spontaneously but it is different for everyone. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. SQUEEEEEE! How exciting!
    I was induced (before I was overdue, so no flames here!) and was in the same boat as you. I was 4cm when I went in with ZERO contractions- they broke my water and I didn't even need the pitocin. I hope you have a similar (or even BETTER!) experience! And don't worry about any of it- God's already there and is in control. Plus, if it makes you feel any better,I was only in labor 4 hours and it literally felt like 30 mintues. Good luck- 1/11 would be an AWESOME birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think a video camera is just as important as the still shots. Of course I love our pictures but there's something about the videos of Carolina, from the very beginning, that are so incredible.

    An educated decision is a good one. Don't feel any qualms about inducing. And I had the same fantasy of a painless labor. It didn't work out that way for me but inducing can usually speed things up. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i know you've got a lot of people sending good thoughts your way these days!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Don't feel like you have to explain your decisions to other people! :)

    You make the decision that's best for you!

    Good luck! Your life is about to change in such a wonderful, exciting way!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just found your blog - waiting on our little one too... by end of the month (or sooner - dilated to 2 as of yesterday)

    Thanking of you and good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.