Saturday, September 5, 2009

Adventures at Home Depot

Today, I ventured to Home Depot to buy some paint. Behr paint has historically been my favorite, and since they were having a sale, I figured it was a good weekend to get the nursery paint. I took in one of the dark turquoise Behr swatches (not pastel AT ALL), and wanted the paint guy to make it just a shade or two lighter. This was our conversation:

Me: Hi, I'd like to get some paint mixed. I need the paint to be maybe a shade or two lighter than this sample, but not as light as this color.

Home Depot Guy: I can't do that.

Me: Really?

Home Depot Guy: No. It's all in your eye's perception. We can't match like that.

Me: You can't just add more white to the dark color's mix, and verify that it's not more white than the lighter color has in it?

Home Depot Guy: No. If I add more white to the paint, it throws off the whole balance of the paint. It would run off your walls like water! It probably wouldn't even stick to the walls!

Me: Well, I haven't heard that before. So, you can only mix the colors that are displayed? You can't adjust them at all?

Home Depot Guy: No, I can't adjust them at all. Only what's displayed. If I change them, it wouldn't stick to your walls.

LOL! Needless to say, I went to Ace instead. They were very helpful...they even helped me make sure the paint would match all our fabrics!

7 comments:

  1. I hope the paint sticks to the walls! Too funny...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously someone is very lazy and didn't want to do work. I'm glad that you got the paint and that they were helpful!
    Have fun painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is HILARIOUS! My Home Depot guys are worthless too. I've been a Lowe's girl since they painstakingly color matched a color that came with my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa- really? Hmm- glad you got it all figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAH! That is hilarious...but boy have I been there! I've always been more partial to the selection of products at home depot over lowes but I've had a few trips where I was ready to throw up my hands and never return!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, that sounds about right! Every time I have bought paint at HD I receive the same lazy treatment and inability to answer questions. Are all the stores really that bad?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are making a lot of improvements in our stores; I am disappointed to hear that your experience with our associate turned out as it did. If you would like to share more details, feel free to send me an email. Please try us again soon.

    Michael
    Customer Care
    The Home Depot
    Atlanta, GA 30339
    michael_care@homedepot.com

    Check out The Home Depot on Twitter, Facebook, & YouTube

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.