Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wedded Wednesday



Last night at our Young Married's Bible Study, we did a little personality test, identifying adjectives that we thought described us. Then, we filled out a test describing our spouse, and visa versa.

Apparently, in the book The Two Sides of Love by Gary Smalley, he uses this personality test to discuss whether you tend to use the "hard side" or "soft side" of love in your interactions, especially with those you love.

If you'd like to take the test, you can do so here (in pdf form).

Lions and Beavers are considered the "hard side" of love, where as Otters and Golden Retrievers are considered to be the "soft side" of love. Neither is positive or negative--they both have their own advantages and disadvantages. You could also think of it as "head" compared to "heart". We discussed how with the couples at the table, almost all of us had one spouse in the "Hard" category, and one spouse in the "Soft" category--which is a nice balance. But the key for us, was being able to recognize which category our spouse falls into, which then can help us be more effective in communicating with them and also with showing love that actually makes them FEEL loved (similar to the premise behind the 5 Love Languages).

I'd encourage you all to take the test, and talk about it with your spouse! What animal best describes you? I think I'm definitely a Beaver, but Justin thinks I'm a Golden Retriever! We both think Justin is absolutely, without a doubt, an Otter!

5 comments:

  1. Interesting way to think about things - I just glanced at the PDF briefly, looks like I'm an otter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to giggle to myself that Justin is without a doubt an otter. :) I don't know why, it just really caught my funny bone!

    I'm totally going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh when you said you are definitely a beaver but Justin thinks you are definitely a golden retreiver... :) Definitely not an area that could result in miscommunication! I'm definitely going to have to check it out, I love the love languages book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too giggled that you wrote that about Justin being an otter. I can say without a doubt my J is a golden retriever haha. Me, on the other hand, a lion.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh- I have got the pdf and we are off to find out our animals.=)

    (Chris has loved otters and goldens his whole life- I wonder if that has anything to do with it . . .)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.