Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Baby Question Post.


So, I totally and shamelessly stole this post from Kristal. I thought it did a good job answering the most basic questions. Like Kristal, I also have to warn you that some of this may be TMI. Sorry.

When did you find out?

The day before mother's day. We were about to go out beer tasting with some friends, and I was a little late, so I decided to take a test to put my mind at ease.

How did you tell Justin?
J had been in the shower for like a half an hour while I was pacing around the living room. I finally yelled, "Babe, I need you right now!" and he finished up and came out. I showed him the test, which wasn't digital, and he stared at me blankly and said, "Yeah, so?" I practically threw the test at him and responded, "Um, I'm pregnant." And then started crying. Justin hugged me and asked if they were happy or sad tears, to which I responded, "I don't know!" I was a little overwhelmed.

Was it planned?
Yes and no. After a string of events that prevented me from picking up my birth control pills in March, we decided on Easter morning that this was the "sign" I'd been looking for and that I'd go off birth control pills. We planned to use another method of BC for the next month or two, and figured that since I had been on the pill for many, many years and had extremely irregular periods before hand, that it would take a long time to get pregnant. We were hoping for a positive test by Christmas.


There was literally one time that we didn't use our method of BC. And that was all it took. I appologize, because I know that will be difficult to read for my friends that are battling with infertility. But it's the honest, unexpected truth.

When did you tell your family and friends?
As I mentioned, this pregnancy has not been without it's share of complications, so we told Ryan and Renee, the friends we were meeting for beer tasting, and Kaitlin and Jesse the day we found out. We told our parents and immediate family when I was about 8 weeks, and opened them up to tell whoever they wanted after my NT scan on Monday.


What were their reactions?
They were all quite happy for us, although quite a few of them didn't agree with our decision not to tell extended families until I was out of the 1st trimester.

Will you find out the sex?
Yes. Justin didn't particularly want to, but I told him that while I'm willing to compromise on almost all aspects of pregnancy, this was something that I really wanted. So we will find out for this one, and possibly not for any subsequent children.

What sex would you rather? /Do you have names picked out?
I combined this question because the answers are very much intertwined. We have a nephew named Logan, and Justin has LONG SINCE wanted to name a boy Nolan, because apparently in Louis Lamour's books, Nolan and Logan are best friends. However, he also wanted the first boy's middle name to be Ryan, after his brother. We were not convinced about naming a child "Nolan Ryan LastName".

Since early in the pregnancy, I've been dreaming about having a little boy. Specifically, a little boy named Caleb Ryan. I shared the dream and name with Justin, and he was immediately sold. I would prefer a boy first, though anything would be wonderful, and I don't know if I really have some mother's intuition, or whether my dreams are reflecting my desire to have a boy.

I can't think of a girl's name for the life of me...which is too bad since a lot of my friends think it's a girl due to the heartbeat being in the 168's!

How are you feeling?

Funny story--the doctor asked how I was feeling this week, and J responded, "Well, the morning sickness seems to have subsided, but she is just tired all the time."

The doctor looked right at Justin and said deadpan, "Well, you may not have noticed, but she IS pregnant."

Really though, I've had the gamut. Bad morning sickness, especially when I'm driving, headaches, sore boobs, everything. But I'm hopeful that those will be resolving soon!

Due Date?
January 10-14th

Which means you're how far along?

Gestational Age is 12 weeks 4 days. But I've pretty consistently measured 5-6 days ahead. Ultrasound on the 6th put me at 13 weeks 3 days.

Cravings?
There's this pizza place in my hometown that serves New York Style pizza. It's the only thing I've been consistently craving, but I've only had it twice.


That, and I am DYING to try the Tagalong Blizzard from DQ, but I'm putting it off because I know I'm doomed if I taste it!

Aversions?
It depends from day to day. Beer smells absolutely disgusting to me. As do eggs and seafood, but those two aren't new--just magnified.


Weight Gain?

Pre-pregnancy, I fluctuated between the same 5 pound range. I'm still in that range, fluctuating between pound 3 and 4. I haven't broken 200 pounds yet, but as an almost 5'11 girl, I'm unfortunately sure it will happen at some point.

How are you decorating the nursery?
Well, prior to decorating it, we have to remove all the JUNK from the room! That will definitely be a project in itself, as most of it isn't actually junk that can just be thrown away. Unfortunately. All I know, is that I'll have a painted tree.

9 comments:

  1. How fun. It is so crazy to see a picture of the little person. It looks so much like a person already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!!

    Sounds like we had a similar unplanned/planned experience, LOL. I really hope you start feeling better soon...hopefully you will since you're pretty much out of the first tri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats again! I hope everything continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mom said that she dreamed about having a boy during her preg but I turned out to be a girl!!
    Good luck and glad to hear things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!

    I didn't think anything was TMI, but I also think being pregnant gives you the excuse to talk about things you wouldn't normally. Becuase, hello, how else did the baby get there?

    And how special that you found out the day before Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! I'm so excited for you, Meredith! I can't wait to read about more of your experiences with pregnancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Decorating baby rooms!!! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!! Hope all goes well and look forward to see how everything progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited for you guys! (You already know that though!) Can't wait til you find out what the little bean is!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.