Sunday, March 29, 2009

Wasted Food

I cleaned out our fridge this morning, and I couldn't believe how much food I threw out because it had gone bad before we finished it. Seriously, it was such a waste! There are basically two things that get thrown away--vegetables and leftovers.

Justin pretty much doesn't eat vegetables (except jalapeƱos and radishes). I grew up eating lots of vegetables. I try to keep a good variety on hand because I eat more of them when they're available and convenient. However, I often don't get through a whole bag or head of lettuce by myself before it goes bad. I'm constantly battling with myself about this--I can either buy the smallest bags possible, knowing I may not get through them before they go bad, or I can not buy fresh veggies, and feel crappy because I'm not eating veggies.

Justin and I BOTH have a hard time with leftovers. I think we both ate a LOT of leftovers growing up, and neither one of us really likes to eat the same thing two days in a row. What I think I need to get better at is finding ways to reinvent the leftovers so that it's a different sort of meal, but using the same ingredients.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you reign it in? It's hard with only two people in the house!

3 comments:

  1. Veggies used to get wasted because J doesn't eat them and it's just me. I have found ways to incorporate them into recipes just as they are about to go bad. A lot of left overs get wasted, I don't mind eating leftovers, I just can't eat all the leftovers myself. I still have yet to figure out how to not waste food. You are right though, it is difficult cooking for only two people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chad and I both love veggies and incorporate them into all our meals, so leftover veggies usually don't happen at our house...but on the occasion that they do, Chad usually makes a soup out of them - he'll just make a stock base and throw in everything we've got!

    Regarding leftovers, I take leftovers to lunch nearly every day of the week. We never eat leftovers for dinner, but I don't mind having them for lunch. Besides, it's nice to have a hot lunch rather than a sandwich or a salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what to tell you- Chris and I are huge leftover eaters. We will eat the same thing until it is gone. Or make two meals and alternate for the week. Sorry. Good luck though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.