Monday, March 16, 2009

Veggie Tales

So, I'm starting to wonder if I bit off more than I could chew in terms of the vegetable garden for this spring. First of all, J has not actually constructed me any garden beds (tick, tock babe!). Second of all, quite a few of the plants seem to be dying already--and they aren't even outside yet! I'm not sure whether I haven't been watering them enough, they're out-growing their starter kits, the cat has been secretly attacking them at night, or all of the above. And then some of the seeds, namely the mint, sweet pea, and strawberries, haven't sprouted at all!

The peas do seem to be doing okay--we bought a bigger planter and a trellis for them yesterday. I'm guessing we'll probably have to do the same with the tomatoes, or else grow them in a bucket. Really though, it's all a little overwhelming because I don't know which plants need a trellis and which don't--and I just googled "growing cantelope" and "growing corn", and both articles I read referenced how difficult it can be for a home gardener to grow those things. Crap...maybe I should have done some research?!

Either way, I plan to get the "Vegetable Gardening For Dummies" when I get paid this week. Maybe that will help a bit...

5 comments:

  1. Let me know what you learn- I can never seem to get seeds to grow into real plants. Just baby plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just planted a bunch of vegetable plants and have been meaning to do a post on them. I bought these plants from HD and used the site for info on container gardening: http://www.bonnieplants.com/ HTH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I liked: http://tinyurl.com/4ckjx

    and: http://tinyurl.com/clzcya

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to say that I am impressed that you are trying. Lars and I have one plant (well now I guess we have two with the addition of Val the cactus) but anyway, I think we are both fairly shocked that they are both still living! ;) Suerte!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.