Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Jello Cake That Wasn't Meant To Be...

Have any of y'all ever tried to do or make something that just WON'T turn out correctly, even though you KNOW that you're quite capable of making it? Take for example, the Jello Cake that I tried to make this morning. I've been craving it all week, and it's super, super simple. So I trekked to Wally World this morning and got all the supplies. If you haven't heard of Jello Cake, basically you make a plain cake, and then poke a bunch of holes in it. Once it has cooled, you pour a Jello Mixture over the top into the holes. The cake basically gets infused with the raspberry or strawberry jello flavor.

It quickly became apparent that the cake making just wasn't going as planned. As I was poring the cake batter into the pan, I noticed that it just wasn't the right consistency--it was almost like a fondant rather than a cake batter. Yeah, I forgot to add the water. So that all went back into the mixer, and I blended it up, but it was still kind of a funky texture. Decided to go with it, and baked as usual.

Once the cake was finished, I pulled it out and stuck it on the oven top to cool. Simultaneously, I turned on the tea-pot to bring the water to boil for the Jello. Anyone see where this is going? Justin and I then proceeded to transplant all of our sugar snap peas and Morning Glories into bigger containers with trellises. I start to smell some sort of burning, so I go over to make sure that the oven was off. As I'm walking away from the oven to the dining room table, the glass pan that I had cooked the cake in completely shattered. I turned around to see what happened, and proceeded to step on a piece of glass. Not only had my only glass 9 X 13 pan SHATTERED, but it also apparently shot glass shards ALL. OVER. THE. KITCHEN.

Yeah, turns out I had turned on the wrong burner, and rather than turning on the burner that the tea kettle was on, I turned on the burner directly under the glass pan. Nice. To add insult to injury, I then had to clean the whole dang thing up, and I didn't even get any freaking cake out of the deal!

7 comments:

  1. Boo- that sounds super frustrating. The cake sounds good though! I'd never heard of it- going to have to try that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, what a mess! I can't believe the pan shattered, I would think it could handle the head of a burner. Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Mere, that sucks. It looks great though. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dang! I am sorry to hear you didn't get any cake- and you had to clean up the glass. I am glad you are ok though!

    (One time (while in MN) I set took something from the oven and set it outside to cool (it was winter) and the beautiful blue glass 9 x 13 shattered. Super scary. And I felt super stupid.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meredith, what a disaster. It sounds like something that should happen in the Hong kitchens and not within your home. ;)

    Also, I have never heard of jello cake before, but mmm mmmm mmm that sounds pretty tasty. Next time we have a reunion....jello cake? A successful one I hope? I am not sure if they even have jello in Norway. I am thinking NOT. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so sad, yet funny. Sounds like something i would have done...okay maybe some thing i HAVE done. LOL. I was on google looking up the recipe for some cakes to make with my 3 year old and I saw the pic of the cake and thats how i got here. I have made the jello cake before but i used too much jello so it was almost too mushy. so if you attempt this any body becareful to use one box of Jello

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that just sucks! Sorry to hear about that mess. Have you made the cake again since with better luck? Oh, and I guess that's why the bottom of every pyrex pan says (in very fine print) "Not for stovetop use."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.