Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Oven Pancakes.

So, tonight I decided to make one of Justin's favorite dinners. I have tried to alter the recipe to make it more healthy, but he just isn't having that. So, for the first time since we've been married, I made his mom's original version, via Renee. Somehow my original version from Cheri is missing a few ingredients (playing favorites, are we Cheri? ;) ). This is a tradition in Justin's family, but one that's becoming more and more scarce now that two others besides myself are allergic to eggs. Just take a look at the ingredient list, and you'll see why this isn't one of my favorites. But lord knows Justin loves it, and tonight I felt like making him happy, EVEN after he stood me up for spinning class. Without further adieu:



Note: this picture was taken several minutes after they were taken out of the oven. These suckers deflate by the freaking SECOND, so make sure you're waiting with family in tow for the INSTANT the oven timer dings. Only then will you see these babies in their true puffed up glory.


Oven Pancakes
6 Eggs
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 C. Flour
1 1/2 C. Milk
1t sugar
1/2 cup butter
Dash of vanilla (ha! stuck my own twist in somehow!)

First off, preheat the oven to 450 degrees, because that sucker takes FOREVAH to heat up that hot. Then, you lightly beat eggs with salt. Then gradually add the milk and then the flour, blending until smooth. Blend in sugar.

Next, add the stick of butter (yes, a whole stick...what was the point of spinning class again?) to the pan and stick it in the oven while it is preheating. Keep an eye on it, because you don't want the butter to burn. Once the butter is melted and the oven is preheated, pour the batter into the pan. Bake about 20 mins, or until the batter rises and puffs--it should be light brown.













Justin likes his oven pancakes with powdered sugar and syrup. I like mine with berry compote, which I just happened to have left over from the failed cobbler. Hurrah.



Can I just say that I am JUST sitting down after getting home from spinning and making dinner, and it's freaking 8:24pm?! No wonder I feel like I'm never home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.